Preheat oven to 350°F
Start by putting the date puree, yogurt, egg and vanilla in a bowl and stir until smooth.
Now add your half teaspoon of baking soda, one teaspoon of baking powder and pinch of salt. Hold on a minute while you watch the little bubbles form. What can I say? I’ve no idea why, but I get a kick out of it every time. Anyway, now mix thoroughly.
Next, add the molasses (fancy or blackstrap) and stir again.
Lastly, fold in the flour and flax seeds while stirring constantly. And there you have it!
Oh, but we’re not quite done yet! To prevent the dough from sticking to the cookie sheet, don’t forget to use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. If you don’t, EVERYTHING WILL STICK because there’s no fat whatsoever in this recipe!
Using two teaspoons, drop the dough onto the cookie sheet. If you’re feeling really adventurous, you can create shapes… like a bear paw for example. Oh no, pardonnez moi, we’re supposed to be making “mitts” not “paws”. Hahaha!
Pop into the oven for 15 minutes at 350°F (180°C). You’ll be able to see the dough rise, take shape and slowly turn into darling little delicious teddy bear mitts…
Storage (in a airtight container)
- Five days on the counter
- A good week and a half in the fridge
- Three months in the freezer
*** Mea-culpaski ***
– But wait Madame Labriski… this is outrageous! There’s sugar in this recipe!
– Yes, I know. In the molasses.
– I thought refined sugar made your head spin.
– You’re right.
– So? Why the betrayal?! I trusted you so much… ;-)
– Because molasses is good and there’s nothing that can replace that unique flavour. What’s more, this version is much healthier than traditional bear paw cookies and they’re also packed with fibre!
– Nothing else to add?
– Sobby… hum…
– Excuse me?
– Sorry, I was just tasting a lovely little teddy bear mitt… IT’S DELISH!
Source of fibre, iron, energy and joy
(for the young and young at heart!)
Teddy Bear Mitt cookies are a lot healthier than their traditional store-bought cousins. Soft and tender, comforting and energizing, what’s not to like?
Destined to become an all-time family favourite!